How to add Adsense code to your WordPress blog
March 25, 2019
If you want to monetise your blog, one of the easiest ways is to include adverts through Google AdSense.
Adding Google AdSense to your WordPress blog is easy when you know how. However, we’ve spoken to a few people recently say that they’ve struggled with it, so thought we’d put together an easy to follow blog post.
What is Google AdSense?
Google AdSense is a program that allows website owners to make money from their site by displaying targeted Google ads.
Google administers the adverts and chooses what to show. They charge the advertiser for the placement and will pay you a fee per thousand ad impressions (CPM – cost-per-thousand-impressions) or per click on an ad.
Payments vary but you can expect anywhere between $1 – $3 per 1,000 impressions, and around $0.68 per click.
Google AdSense pays out once your account reaches $100 or £60.
How to get approved by Google AdSense
To be approved by Google AdSense you need to ensure your website means certain criteria:
- Your website should have its own domain name
- You should be the website owner with root access
- Your site should be at least 6 months old
- Your site should contain good quality content
- You must be over 18
- You must comply with Google AdSense policies
How to add Google AdSense verification code to your WordPress blog
Once you have been approved by AdSense you will need to add the verification code to the Head section of your website. This will link your site to your AdSense account.
Note: You cannot add AdSense code to a WordPress.com blog – you will need to upgrade to WordPress.org. This is one of the many benefits of going self-hosted!
Insert the verification code manually
If you’re not sure how to add code to the Head tag in WordPress follow these steps:
- Log into your WordPress admin dashboard.
- Go to Appearance and click on Theme Editor
- Select your current theme from the Select theme to edit drop-down menu
- Choose your theme from the drop-down list and click Select
- Scroll down until you find the <head> tag and paste the Google AdSense verification code after it.
Insert the verification via a plugin
If editing the header of your website scares you, try the following steps instead…
- Log into your WordPress admin dashboard.
- Go to Plugins then Add new
- Search for the Header and Footer Scripts plugin.
- Install the plugin and activate it
- Go to Settings and click on the Insert Headers and Footers menu.
- Paste the Google AdSense verification code into the Header section.
Once you’ve added the verification code to your website, return to your Google AdSense account and check the box to confirm you have pasted the code, then click Done.
You will need to wait for Google to review your site and activate your account. This can take anywhere between a day and a couple of weeks.
Confused about how to add Google AdSense code to your blog? Follow these steps and start making money... Click To Tweet
How to add Google Adsense ads to your blog posts
Once your Google AdSense account has been approved, you can start to create new ad units.
- Log into your Google AdSense account and go to Ads > Ad units and click on New ad unit
- Name your ad unit – use something that will make sense later
- Choose the size of the ad in the Ad size section. Responsive ads will automatically adjust their size, appearance, and format to fit into the available space.
- Select which type of ads you want to show on your site using the Ad type drop-down menu. It’s totally up to you which type you want to use but we’d recommend Text & Display Ads.
- You can also apply an ad style if you want to use colours that match your site’s theme
- In the Backup ads section choose what you want to show in if Google has no targeted ads available
- Click Save and copy the Google AdSense ad code
Now you need to head back to your blog so you can add the Adsense code to your site. You can place ads in various places including your sidebar, header, footer, or within the content.
We’re going to show you how to place ads within your blog posts.
- Log into your WordPress dashboard and go to one of your posts
- Click on the Text editor
- Scroll down to where you want the ad to appear and paste the code
- Save and Publish
And that’s it!
You can now add Google AdSense code to your blog and start making money from ads.